- 64 oz fresh apple cider
- 12 oz calvados
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 12 oz dark rum
- 12 1-inch cubes pumpkin (kabocho or butternut squash are also good)
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 6 tbsp (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 6 whole star anise
- Melt butter in a saucepan, then add sugar and pumpkin. Sauté pumpkin, turning, until caramelized on all sides. Once softened, remove from heat to prevent overcooking.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, except the liquor.
- Reduceheat and simmer until hot; stir in the rum and calvados and ladle into warmed mugs and grate fresh nutmeg over the top.
- Serve hot.