- 4 cups Peanut oil
- 15 Green onion tops
- 1 tablespoon Minced ginger
- 1 pound Flank or sirloin steak
- tablespoon Water chestnut flour
- 2 Egg whites
- 1 Pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch paste
- 1 teaspoon Chili paste with garlic
- cup Chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons Dark soy sauce
- 1 Pinch sugar
- tablespoon Dry sherry
- Preparation: Cut tops of green onions into 2″ long pieces. Combine sauce ingredients in small bowl & stir thoroughly. Cut steak across the grain into thin slices, about 1/2″ deep by 2″ long. In bowl big enough to hold meat, combine egg whites, salt & water chestnut flour. Beat with chopstick until frothy. Add steak, & use fingers to coat each slice. Deep-frying: In wok, heat oil to moderately hot. When ready, piece of coated meat will rise to surface immediately. 2Add beef all at once, & toss with sauce until beef is hot & coated. Push beef out of sauce, dribble in cornstarch paste to lightly thicken.
- Add beef all at once, & toss with sauce until beef is hot & coated. Push beef out of sauce, dribble in cornstarch paste to lightly thicken.
- Recombine. Serve immediately.
- Serves 4 –