Ingredients Middle Eastern Chopped Salad:
- 1 cup chopped, toasted walnuts
- 2 cups finely chopped Italian parsley (approximately 2 bunches)
- 3/4 cup chopped, pitted kalamata, Greek, or niçoise olives (about 1 ¼ cups with pits)
- 1/2 cup minced scallion (about 1 bunch)
- 1 cup peeled, seeded, and chopped tomato (2 large)
- cup extra virgin olive oil
- cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flake
- Kosher salt and coarsely ground black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 325° F.
- Place the nuts on a baking sheet and toast for about 10 minutes until they begin to emit a toasted nut aroma. Cool completely before using the nuts in the recipe.
- Remove the stems from the parsley and mince either by hand or with quick pulses in a food processor. The parsley should be finely minced, but if you use a food processor be careful not to purée it. The parsley should form a fluffy base for the other textures.
- Chop the olives, walnuts, and scallions by hand into a rough dice. Dice the prepared tomatoes and drain.
- Combine all of the chopped ingredients. Toss in a large wooden bowl with the olive oil, fresh lemon juice, cumin, and chili flakes. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.