- 1 cup Greek Non Fat Plain Yogurt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 eggs or egg substitute
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp. lemon extract
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice, about 12 lemons
- 2 teaspoon lemon peel, grated (about 2 lemons)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Beat yogurt, sugar, eggs, vanilla and lemon extract until blended
- Stir together flour, lemon peel, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to yogurt mixture,mix just until blended. Spoon batter into a greased and floured 9- x 5-inch loaf pan or 3 mini loafs.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour for 1 large loaf or 30 – 35 minutes for 3 mini loafs, or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, shielding with aluminum foil after 50 minutes to prevent excessive browning.
- In a small sauce pan add sugar and lemon juice, stir until dissolved and clear. While the cake is still warm, pour the lemon-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in (a pastry brush works great for this, as does using a toothpick to make tiny holes that draw the syrup in better).
- Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Then eat!!!!
- Calories per slice: 111, Fat: .02, Cholesterol: 0, Sodium: 137, Potassium: 32, Carbs: 23, Fiber: 1.3, Sugar: 10.3, Protein: 3.9