Fresh Homemade Mayonaise
Generally, we buy mayonnaise in a supermarket. Although it can be made easily at home. Afterward, I doubt if you will continue to buy the mayonnaise in a supermarket. Mayonnaise is easy to make and only takes one minute with a stick blender or immersion blender.
Let’s start to deal with some questions/worries, which some people are struggling with.
Although the United States Department of Agriculture does not recommend eating raw shell eggs that are not cooked or undercooked due to the possibility that Salmonella bacteria could be present. Nevertheless, homemade mayonnaise can be safely made if raw, in-shell pasteurized eggs or pasteurized egg products are used
Is making your mayonnaise worth it?
With homemade, we know that the eggs are top-quality and we can choose the type of oil being used, and further, we know it’s fresh. Homemade mayo wins in taste, as well. The real stuff is creamy and rich, with a natural tanginess. By comparison, store-bought often tastes like a watery imitation.
Fact is: Fresh is the best!
First of all, the oil !
To begin with, you have to use the best oil. Important is to use a neutral, refined oil for mayonnaise, such as avocado oil, grapeseed oil, canola oil, sunflower oil, safflower oil. I prefer Groundnut oil; Arachis oil.
Pro tip: don’t use extra virgin olive oil as it has too strong a flavor.
INGREDIENTS IN HOMEMADE MAYONNAISE
Homemade mayonnaise is an emulsion of just 6 fresh ingredients :
- Arachis oil
- Lemon juice
- White wine vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- Sea salt
You could substitute the Arachis oil with light-flavored olive oil and the white wine vinegar with any light-colored, high-quality vinegar.
HOW TO MAKE MAYONNAISE ?
The key to this no-fail mayonnaise recipe is the equipment used. A stick blender (otherwise known as an immersion blender) is perfect for the job.
And if you use the container that came with the stick blender, you’re good to go. Here’s how you make it in 3 easy steps:
- 1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cold water
- ¾ cup neutral oil such (as per above)
- Add all of the ingredients (make sure you have the oil on top) to the jar that came with your stick blender.
- Let the ingredients settle for a minute or two
- Place the stick blender inside the container (firmly on the bottom) and cover the egg yolk
- Turn the stick blender on and on and don’t move it for 10-15 seconds
- As the mayonnaise starts to emulsify, you can move the stick blender up and down to combine the ingredients
- Finally, remove the stick blender, stir it and that’s it!struggling struggling
- Give it a few stirs with a spoon and place it in a storage container in the refrigerator. Furthermore, it will stay fresh for up to one week.
Good luck and enjoy !