Ingredients Farro & Leek Soup:
- 2-3 glugs or tablespoons olive oil
- 2 leeks, white parts only, sliced finely
- 1 cup or 150 gr farro
- 1 stalk of celery, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 liter meat stock (vegetable or chicken stock is OK, however meat stock adds richer flavor) **Please do not use bullion cubes for this! There are only 3 ingredients & they should be of the highest quality possible.
- herbs – I use 1 sprig of thyme & a bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- salt & pepper
- In a heavy bottomed pot, heat olive oil on med/low heat. Add in the vegetables and sweat until translucent and soft WITHOUT browning. If the vegetables stick to the pan, lower the heat & add a spoonful of water.
- Then toss in the farro, toasting with the vegetables for 1-2 minutes. Add in the herbs & stock. Season with salt & pepper.
- Then Bring up to a low simmer and continue to simmer for 30-40 minutes until the farro is tender.
- You can control the consistency of the soup: to make it more ‘stewy’ hold back a little stock, and the contrary if you like it ‘soupy,’ add a bit more stock.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and serve with toasty bread.