- 2 chicken breasts, partially frozen to make slicing a bit easier
- 4 slices smoked bacon, thinly sliced across
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen sweet corn
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 3 large (½ cup, 125 ml) fresh roasted green chilies, skins removed and chopped
- 3 1/2 cups (875 ml) water, divided
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 rounded tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup (120 g) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup (250 ml) whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon lightly packed finely chopped fresh cilantro (coriander)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice chicken breasts into thirds lengthwise. Holding the breast slices together, slice very thinly across; set aside until ready to use.
- In a non-stick stockpot set over medium high heat, cook the bacon until it is golden brown. Add the chopped onion and sauté until they are transparent; add the garlic and green chilies and sauté for one minute longer before adding the chicken pieces and cooking for approximately 3 – 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked. Add three cups of the water and bring to a simmer before adding the chicken bouillon, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Just before the 15 minutes is up, make a slurry by placing the flour in a small bowl and, while stirring constantly, adding the remaining 1/2 cup (125ml) water in a slow stream. Remove the cover from the pot and slowly pour in the slurry while stirring the soup. Turn the heat up to medium and, while stirring constantly, cook the soup for approximately 2 minutes longer. Add the Parmesan, cheddar, whipping cream, cilantro and salt and pepper. Heat for a moment longer before removing from the heat and serving piping hot.
- Serves 4-5